Saturday, June 30, 2012

Making your own Homemade Corn Bread Mix...no more pricey prepackaged stuff!!

Convenience is a BIG thing!  But typically it comes at a cost.  I am a BIG fan of making my own dry mixes.  They save me time AND money…not to mention they are healthier!! 

My family loves corn bread & corn muffins!  I used to buy the packages when we 1st got married…but found a “mix” recipe that I LOVE and have never gone back to the grocery store prepackaged ones.  This mix produces FLUFFY and light corn bread and muffins.  Try them!  You won’t be sorry!
1st you make the DRY mix…and store it in an airtight container.

Corn Bread Basic Dry Mix
I store my dry mix in a #10 in the cupboard...
This is what the dry mix looks like.  Can you see the resemblance to the prepackaged stuff at the grocery store?
4 c. all-purpose flour
4 c. yellow cornmeal
2 c. instant dry milk
2/3 c. sugar
4 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. salt
1 Tbsp. baking soda

When you desire corn bread or muffins…here are the additional WET ingredients to add to the dry mix.
Corn Bread  (makes 6 muffins)

1 egg, beaten (or 1 Tbsp. dehydrated egg + 1/8 c. water)
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/2 c. water
1 1/4 c. Corn bread mix

1.    Preheat oven to 425 F.
2.    Butter a 5 “x 3” pan.
3.    Wisk together all wet ingredients. 
4.    Slowly add “mix” and stir until moistened.
5.    Bake 20-25 min.
a.    (Muffins bake 15 min.)

 Happy Stretching Pennies...

No comments:

Post a Comment