Monday, January 2, 2012

Cheaper and EASY Pancake Mix

I love making pancakes in the morning for breakfast.  We REGULARLY have them....(avoiding the expensive cereal)!!  However, I don’t  like how many things I have to pull out and how many dirty dishes I make-- in order to have them from “scratch”.  It takes too long when mornings are usually rushed during the week.  I used to use the boxed kind from the grocery store for days that I didn’t have a lot of time.

Several years ago, I went on a hunt to find a recipe for a just-add-water “MIX” so I didn’t have to assemble so much.  I figured that the stores SELL mixes…so why couldn’t I MAKE one for a fraction of the cost?
I taped the Dry Mix recipe to the Tupperware, so I would never have to go searching for the recipe when it was time to refill!  (It's all about saving TIME!)
If you have ever eaten a premade just-add-water mix from the store, you have probably already tried a product you didn’t even know existed: powdered eggs.  I buy them from Honeyville Grain www.honeyvillegrain.com  (I have mentioned them before.)  I love their company for many reasons, but my favorite is a flat shipping rate of $4.49 in the continental US.  Dehydrated eggs are found in these just-add-water mixes of all kinds.  I know it sounds a little weird…but if you start thinking of all the things in the grocery store that contain powdered eggs, you might not find it so “weird”.  This also goes for the other potentially “weird” product: Dehydrated shortening.
What do these "weird" products LOOK like?
Dehydrated EGGS

This is what dehydrated EGGS look like!!
Dehydrated Shortening
This is what Dehydrated Shortening LOOKS like!
Pancake Dry Mix Recipe
This is what the "Pancake Dry Mix" LOOKS like (made with white wheat flour)!
6 C. Flour (I grind white wheat into flour)
9 Tbsp. Dehydrated Shortening
9 Tbsp. Powdered Milk
9 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
6 Tbsp. Dehydrated Whole Egg
2 Tbsp. Baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
Directions: Take out as much "mix" as you would normally make from a box and add water until it is the consistency you desire for fluffy YUMMY pancakes!  (We usually do about 3 cups of mix and 2 cups water.)
Happy Stretching Pennies...AND cheaper...fluffy yummy breakfasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment